Since 1 January 2019, Jair Bolsonaro is President of Brazil. What’s going on in Brazil? What can we expect? And what can we do to help risk groups prepare for the worst?
How much of a threat to the Internet is Bolsonaro?
by Coalizão Direitos na Rede, a coalition of over 35 CSOs working in the field of digital rights.
27 November 2019 at 19:30 h
at Mundvoll, Waldemarstraße 48, 10997 Berlin
Register for free until 25 November
What’s going on in Brazil? What can we expect?
- Brasilien: Bolsonaros kleine Soldaten, ARTE Reportage, 29.03.2019
- A Disaster for Brazil: Noam Chomsky on Brazil’s New Far-Right President Jair Bolsonaro, 31.12.2018
- Brazil elects a far-right extremist as president, El Tecolote, 26.10.2018
- Manifesto: Democracia Sim, Gilberto Gil, Caetano Veloso, Chico Buarque e mais de 190.000 signatários, 09/2018 | English translation | „More than a political choice, Jair Bolsonaro’s candidacy represents a blatant threat to our fundamental civilizing heritage. It is necessary to refuse its normalization, and to join forces in the defense of freedom, tolerance and collective destiny among us.“
- Gavin Adams, Um Diário das Ruas 2015-2018
- Autodefesa, Segurança digital básica
- The Internet Archive encourages to upload Brazilian content before it is lost. Backing up Brazil’s internet so Bolsonaro can’t censor it, Columbia Journalism Review, 04.01.2019 | Jason Scott’s original tweet & thread, 02.01.2019
- Infosec Bytes, a crash course in information security for journalists, based at the Centre for Investigative Journalism in London. Currently covering video courses on PGP, the Tails-OS, Signal, Tor and how to protect your data.
- InfoSec: Tutorials
- Netzpolitik.org: Kleines Einmaleins der digitalen Selbstverteidigung
- If zero-rating leads to lock-in into Facebook and Whatsapp which then become the dominant part of the digital public sphere, then we need to keep up the fight for net neutrality (for Europe see BEREC on zero-rating; for global situation see FGV Direito Rio (ed.), Net Neutrality Reloaded: Zero Rating, Specialised Service, Ad Blocking and Traffic Management. Annual Report of the UN IGF Dynamic Coalition on Net Neutrality, December 2016).
- The Intercept Brazil
- Reporteres sem fronteiras
- strong Freedom of Information laws in Brazil are an opportunity for data journalists
- translation support for PT → DE, EN, etc. and DE, FR, EN, etc. → PT?
Helping protect the Amazon against mining and agribusiness.
Using the EU elections in May 2019 to address Brazil.
- Democracy in Europe Movement 2025 (DiEM25)
- Informações sobre refúgio na Alemanha
- Auf dieser Seite können sich Menschen in Deutschland/Schweiz/Österreich eintragen, die bereit wären, Brasilianer*innen, die aufgrund der politischen Lage das Land verlassen müssen, zu unterstützen.
- who is in need?